Monday 2 January 2012

A Few Of My Favourite Things

I thought I would take this opportunity to show you the products that always remain within my make up collection. These are my 'everyday' products and the products that I cannot live without.



Liquid Foundation

For years and years I swore by Mac's Studio Fix liquid foundation, (I wear NW20) a product which I still have a great deal of love for and still use on occasion. It was only last year that I was introduced to Illamasqua's Skin Base foundation and it was a revelation. As someone who is paranoid about having full coverage I was at first a little hesitant and never in a million years did I think I could be swayed away from the Studio Fix which had served me so well for so long. The foundation promises a build able coverage something which I am normally a little dubious about -after all nobody wants to appear to be 'caked' in make up. However I was more than pleasantly surprised when after just a light application the coverage was to my liking and did not feel at all heavy on my face... I was immediately converted. The foundation does carry quiet a hefty price tag at £25 but I believe it is worth every penny, especially when you consider a Max Factor or Loreal foundation can carry price tags of between £10-£12 for, in my opinion a far inferior product.

Powder Foundation

Easily the longest standing member of my make up bag is Mac's Studio Fixed pressed powder. This powder has been like a best friend to me through the years. I have lost count of the number of friends I have recommended this product to and everyone has since been converted. I have not yet found a powder foundation that comes close to the desired finish that this foundation gives me and I can see it remaining a staple part of my collection for many years to come - let's just hope they don't ever discontinue it.

Eyebrows

As we all know, it is our eyebrows that frame of face and for that reason I believe they should be cared for a appreciated. For someone like me with very fair eyebrows I find it an essential part of my routine to 'colour in' my eyebrows and for this I use Illamasqua's eyebrow cake. This is again a new addition to my collection as for years I relied on Benefit's Brow zings to take care of them for me - a product which I still have a great deal of love for. Brow zings comes with a a handy carry case consisting of tweezers, a hard angled brush, blending brush and mirror. It also comes with great instructions on perfectly groomed brows so is great for beginners. However there are two applications required when using this. One of pigmented wax and the other a powder used for setting the brows - so not always the most practical when one needs to apply their brows in a rush. In comparison the Illamasqua eyebrow cake requires on simple application and offers great instant coverage. You will need an additional eyebrow brush to apply this, or simply use a lip brush.

Bronzer 

In terms of bronzer I choose to opt for a natural matt look as opposed to highly pigmented sparkly bronzer and for this I use Benefit's Hoola. Hoola produces a soft bronze natural looking tan with yellow undertones meaning the complexion never looks the dreaded orange colour that we all fear! A little goes a long way so you will see the £23.50 as an investment as this product will last a very long time.



Blush

I like to switch my blusher depending on the look that I am going for. Occasionally I will opt for a matt blush but my preference is always a little bit of shimmer (the opposite to my feelings on bronzer) for everyday I choose Nars Orgasm blush, which offers me the perfect blend of pinky/peach tones with a golden shimmer. The packaging is also fabulous and comes with a handy mirror. I also use Mac's Peachykeen sheertone blush as an alternative to this.

Mascara

This is probably the product I fluctuate the most between products and brands, always trying to find one which offers me exactly what I need from a mascara. I think I have tried nearly every brand from Maybelline to Lancome and I have finally found my favourite. This being Benefit's new They're Real mascara which promises to lengthen, curl, volumise, lift and separate. I know what your thinking... surely one single mascara cannot do all of this!? I shared your scepticism until I finally bit the £18.50 bullet and purchased this wonder mascara. Not only does it do everything that it promises but you can also layer the mascara without any clumps forming for a more dramatic look. This for the moment is my number one choice mascara, however other firm favourites include Maybelline false lash effect and also Dior Show Iconic.

Eyeshadow

I am someone who loves to play around with eye colour and my favourite brand to do this with is Mac... there is a great array of colours and finishes available, perfect for any occasion. However despite my love for all things bright and beautiful when it comes to eye make up, the nude muted look is one never to be sneered at and this is why my favourite eyeshadow of them all is Tempting. From the Lustre family of Mac eyeshadows it is a highly pigmented golden brown shade. This for me is the perfect shade for day or night.



Nails

You will learn as I begin to post more that I have a love for nail varnish and at the moment my favourite winter shade is Saville Row by Nails Inc. A deep purple shade perfect for when your nails are short. However if the £11 for a nail varnish is a little steep I have found a perfect alternative available in most supermarkets in Maybelline's Extreme Blackcurrant.

3 comments:

  1. Fab post! I too am fussy about brows. And share a love of nars blush! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post- I love seeing these sorts of posts. I still haven't tried the benefit they're real mascara, I really should xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your first post! I'm looking forward to reading more and wish you lots of luck with the blog. Xx

    ReplyDelete